I've been dreaming about a game like this! A virtual world like minecraft but the voxels are small. It would be so cool to see a game like this with powder toy mechanics. So much potential
A downloadable game
Build tiny voxel worlds in virtual reality!
Microcosm is the game I've wanted to play in VR ever since I saw the Oculus Rift Kickstarter way back in 2012. I picked up a Vive last year, but no one seemed to be making the voxel game I wanted. Finally, I said enough was enough, and just decided to build it myself.
I hope you enjoy playing Microcosm as much as I enjoy making it. If you had any issues, or if there's something you think I could improve, I'd love it if you let me know. Please feel free to email me at any time. If you've found a bug, screenshots and system information are very much appreciated, to help me reproduce and fix it.
Microcosm is live now on Steam! Everyone who purchases on Itch also automatically receives a Steam key.
- Microcosm worlds are currently made of 512×256×512 voxels. Each one is 0.018 meters (~0.7 inches) cubed. That's over 9 meters across and 4.5 meters tall of real-world space (~30 feet by ~15 feet). You can build some pretty huge stuff. 🚀
- Create your own world of solid, transparent, and glowing voxels. 🖼
- Switch the desktop camera mode! Use the default eye-cam, or place a fixed camera in the world. Great for time-lapses and video recording. 📹
- Save your creations as .cosm files, and share them with other people! 🌏
- Intuitive voxel selection and editing. Easily place, delete, and paint existing voxels. 🎨
- More fun and interesting things coming soon! Check out the roadmap announcement post to learn more. 🎉
- Pause, speed up, and slow down the day/night cycle.
- A lovely, custom soundtrack composed by Mr. Kevin Jachetta!
- More ways to share your Microcosm worlds!
- (maybe infinite terrain, too)
Microcosm currently requires an HTC Vive to play. If there's enough interest, I'd love to add Oculus Rift + Touch support. Please let me know in the comments or on Twitter if that's something you'd like to see!
Once I'm comfortable enough with Microcosm's stability, performance, and feature set to move it out of Early Access, I'd love to keep adding updates as long as there's still both player interest and good things to add.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $14.99 USD. Your purchase comes with a Steam key. You will get access to the following files:
- Microcosm 0.1.4 Release - Notice for Folks With Saved Games! 65 days ago
- Microcosm Post-Launch Update! 72 days ago
- Microcosm is out now! (0.1.3) 76 days ago
- 0.1.2 79 days ago
- 0.1.1 82 days ago
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Awesome, glad you like the idea! I've been making really good progress on it lately, and should be on track to release the initial version within in the next month or so.
Adding Powder Toy-like functionality to this would probably be a bit tough from a performance standpoint, since there's already a lot going on with rendering so many voxels, but I definitely want to play around with various ways of letting you interact with the things you build.